BELIEVE

Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.
Norman Vincent Peale

About Me

I am a 28 year old single mom of a 9 month old boy. He is my world and my life. Before I was pregnant I was in a very physically and emotionally abusive relationship. My son gave me the strenght to leave that man to create a good life for my child. My life has now become a matter of protecting my child to make sure the pattern of abuse does not get imposed on him so he is a "benefit to society" not a "menace to society". I am in the midst of a court battle for visitation and child support and it is taking all that I have to stay strong for my son. His father harasses me every chance he gets and is trying to take control back of my life and I won't let that happen. Please note I am not a counselor or psychologist; I am simply sharing what I have learned through my personal experience and time through counseling and groups to recover from abuse.

NEED A GOOD LAWYER? FREE HELP IS HERE FOR YOU

NO CREDIT!! YOU CAN STILL HAVE A PREPAID VISA!!!

Saturday, April 3, 2010
I want to start this post off by saying R.I.P Uncle Pete I know you are having a great time where you are now!

In my group we are discussing coping and survival skills and I thought this would be a great post as I haven't touched on this at all in the past.

When caught in an abusive relationship there are standard survival/coping skills that us women will rely on to get us through it. It is human nature to react in the following manners.

*ADDICTIONS: This is the coping skill that I personally used for the 2.5 years that I was being abused.
Alcohol
Drugs
Smoking
TV
Gambling
Overeating
Exercise/diet
Internet
Work

No matter what your addiction is, it is normal and a survival skill that is built into us humans. It is not a healthy way of living, but it is natural do react in manners listed above. The first step is to recognize the abuse, and the second is to recognize how you have changed in order to survive and cope with your pain.

*SHUT YOURSELF OFF:
It is natural to shut off and feel numb inside. Again, this is our way of coping with the pain that we are/have endured. It is easier to shut off than to deal with reality

*DIFFICULTY TRUSTING:
This is another big one, and one that is natural as a human being to cope with your pain. This is hard to get over, but it can be accomplished with your hope to get over and move on from your past.


These are just a few, but in my opinion, the most common and the ones that I wanted to touch base on. Remember that you are resilient and you do have the ability to survive and get past what you have been through. Don't be afraid or embarrassed to reach out for help.

I want to end this post by wishing everyone a Happy Easter Long Weekend and I hope you are enjoying this beautiful weather with your family and friends.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

HELP WITH ANXIETY

DO YOU KNOW YOUR CREDIT SCORE?

Followers